Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bountiful Baskets

One of my favorite ways to save on organic produce is to order from Bountiful Baskets. They are a non-profit Food Co-op that delivers fresh produce and other goodies to a site once a week. My site, the Copperfield Pavillion just recently started offering the organic option along with conventionally grown produce, fresh bread and a juicing pack.
 
 

My hubby always jokes that I am going to pick up a cucumber and a couple of apples and I will admit, I was very skeptical when I ordered my first basket. The picture shows everything that was in my basket this morning, minus the Keurig of course! For $25.00, I think it was a steal!! My hubby wasn't convinced so I hopped across the street to Kroger's and priced everything out.

Our Basket:

4 Oranges                           Kroger's Price $1.49 Each
2 Red Bell Peppers                                    $2.49 Each
1 Avocado                                                  $1.19 Each
4 Mangoes                   Kroger's did not have Organic Mangoes, but the conventional were $1.25 each
2 Bulbs of Garlic         Again, no organic garlic
1 Pound Bag of Limes                               $2.49/lb
3 Pound Bag of Apples                             $2.49/lb
1 Bunch Spinach                                       $2.49
1 Bunch Red Swiss Chard                        $3.48
1 Bunch of Carrots                                    $1.49
6 Tomatoes                                                $2.99/lb

My total at Kroger would have been $39.55 for everything and that is just calculating the conventional price for the mangoes and not including the garlic. So at least a savings of $15.00!!!! Plus we get to try a new food tonight for dinner, the swiss chard. With the money I saved by going with Bountiful Baskets I was able to buy a whole organic, free range chicken and some organic coconut milk.

Check them out and hopefully, there is a site close to you! Does anyone else utilize Bountiful Baskets or another Co-op??


No comments:

Post a Comment